Friday, July 31, 2009

How To: Increase The Odds You Won't Get Called For Jury Duty

I have postponed jury duty twice since January. So when my newest jury summons arrived in the mail on Tuesday, I was less than thrilled. And while I'm fully aware that jury duty is a good thing for society, I can't help but feel it's a huge time waster. The last thing I want to do is get stuck in a room full of other potential jurors and not get paid (especially because I'm a freelancer). So this morning, I decided to call in and see what I could finagle. I ended up speaking with the most helpful woman at the courthouse. She suggested I choose a holiday week for jury service. She mentioned the week of Thanksgiving because the courthouse is closed on that particular Thursday and Friday. The nice lady also disclosed that nothing really happens during the week of a big holiday. Score for me (and how did I not think of this sooner)!! Hopefully it all works out and I'll be sure to keep you posted.

(Image from Flickr Member Nogwater used under Creative Commons License)

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin